An FPS Server guide for developers
It's not rocket science and to be honest, most if not all of these
features have been around in part from game to game. However we keep
seeing new game released missing what we call "the basics".
Game developers, publishers, community managers and producers -
If you have not figured it out yet, these are the
same features we keep asking for, year after year. Well now, here's it
in writing. Please print this out and or copy and paste it into an
email to the powers that be. Please do not use this page instead of
asking your respected communities what they want. Use this page as a
starting point to give them some truly groundbreaking features above
and beyond what is listed here.
When asked for server sided / admin features you
would like to see in (fill in FPS game name here) simply point them to
the link below. If enough people keep sending them the same link, they
may get the idea and figure out we've been asking for these same things
for a very long time.
link to this page
Posted: Oct 16th, 2007
- Linux support for dedicated servers
- 64bit support (linux)
- Dedicated server files: So we don't have to upload
the whole game to the remote servers.
- Server sided patches: so we can patch the server
directly, please remember that servers don't have installed files thus
there are no registry entries or we are running on a Linux box.
-A/C out of the box
- HTTP redirect: Download maps/mods/skins/... from a
remote server at unlimited speeds (of the remote server)
- Server side switches: Turn on/off as many options
as possible so we can customize the server to our clients liking.turn
turn on/off hud, weapons,
class, run, lean, bunny hopping, FF, TK, prone, ..........
-Run more then one mod at the same time without
having to combine your mods into one
- Auto team switch after match
- Auto balance
- Realism, Arcade, clan modes
- specify IP and or port
- command line switches
- Server variables for logging and stats
- Ability to run multiple servers from one install:
Seperate cfg /ini files for each server based on same install set.
- Server sided messages: Broadcast messages from cfg
file, with rules, announcements, site links ...
- Being able to change color, size, duration and
position of server sided messages
- Autokick features: being able to babysit your
server via a server sided script that would,
kick/ban for high ping
kick/ban for duration: you
set a time limit
kick/ban for team killing
chat filter: filter out bad
words admin should be able to edit this file
- Server sided stats via RSS: To be displayed on a
3rd party site
- Document Rcon and VARS
- Different permission levels for RCON access
In game server browser
- Remember your sort preference after exiting the
game: So you don't have to setup your sort preference all over again,
after you restart the whole game (from desktop).
- Multi-sort: Being able to combine sorts like ping
+ players + maps and so on
- List as much detail as you can regarding the
Players: kills, deaths,
Current map name
currently in use
IP address for bookmarking
(would be great if you could resolve these IP address to a domain name)
Current message of the day,
rules, site url......
Server/Clan/Site banner type
- List players pings in server: Great to know if
that high ping server has a lot of low ping clients connected
- Quick refresh that works in some what real time
- Lots of filters - A/C, maps, ping, full, empty,
mods, type of server,.......
- Responsive to changes in filters and sorting
- RSS feed to master server: So we can add server
lists and overall server stats to our web sites - RSS feeds to client
info would be an added bonus.
- Auto log in: Remember my username and password.
- Be able to connect via desktop shortcut
- Be able to connect via 3rd party app, like Xfire
- skip intro's
- Exit to desktop with one button, maybe a
- stats for clients: To be displayed on remote 3rd
- Editable clan or web site tags: An additional text
field that can be added to the clients login name ie: |FPSadmin|Rudedog
= clan/web tlogin | useielogin name
** To leave feedback or participate in the ongoing discussion about
this guide, please see this threadClans, members, web sites and even
game developers, if you support this list please send me via this link,
the name you wish listed on this page as well as your URL. I will start
listing sites ASAP.
Site members use this page to leave feedback, non site members who do
not wish to register, use the contact us link at the bottom of this
This page is a work in progress and is not finished. Please forward
comments and suggestions to Rudedog via PM
Supporters of this document:
The Black Duck
The Dutch Fight Club
Asylum Game Servers
Opposing Forces Gaming Network
The Dark Realm Phoenix Clan
Raiders Gaming Net (RGN)
Official Master clan
The Senile soldiers
The Fighting 69th
-V- for Victory
(83rd) Division Thunderbolt
Anger Management Gaming Network